Saturday, September 8, 2007

Memere's Morning Crepes (page 25)





I can finally get started with Mam Papaul's Country Creole Basket. As I've already said, the cookbook was written & published by my mom. I realized that I have to have written permission to reproduce any of her recipes. I had told her of my intention to blog about it but I don't think that she realized her recipes would be all over the internet. Anyway, I reached a deal to link to her site in exchange for reproducing the recipes. If you are interested in buying the cookbook, it is only $6.50 and can be purchased via Mam Papaul's website . It was really no big deal but I wanted to make sure that I cover myself since she has 3 lawyers in the family to give her advice.

We'll start with my favorite, Memere's Morning Crepes. I have made these several times since we moved to New Orleans. Our neighbor said that he had not eaten crepes like these since he was a kid.

Recipe:

2 eggs
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
oil for skillet

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Beat together eggs, milk and butter in the blender. Add flour mixture and blend well. Oil & heat skillet.

Here my technique is different from mom's. Recently, my sister gave me a crepe maker (see picture) and it is really efficient and helps to spread the batter thinly over the surface. So, I pour the batter in the dish for the crepe maker, dip the crepe-making apparatus in the batter and wait. After about 10-15 seconds, you can use a spatula to pull the crepes edges away from the sides. The timing depends on how you like them. Eat them with butter, syrup, lemon curd, jam or cane syrup (like mom's way).
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Memere's Cookbook said...

Saturday morning, and your little sister doesn't have any crepes to show for it. :(

Instead, I am drinking a pink milkshake (but not really- it's a strawberry protein shake.)

I want crepes!

Cherie said...

Mmmmm! I am hungry already! I think I'll have to get your mom's cookbook.

Unknown said...

what time do we eat?

Unknown said...

what time do we eat?

Kirsten said...

What a great deal to strike! You get permission to reprint and hungry readers like us get exposure to the book - free marketing!

These look delicious. I am sitting in bed typing and my stomach is growling. I want crepes too! :)