Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mirliton Stuffed with Shrimp (page 18)



I was so excited to see fresh mirliton at the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I they ran out before I could get any for this recipe. Luckily, it was the weekend of the Mirliton Festival, so I was able to get some there and enjoy a lively show by Morning 40 Federation. I saw them in Hattiesburg a few years ago. I don't remember enjoying the Hattiesburg show. It was in a tiny bar and was too loud. This show was great! What a fun band!


This dish was one of my favorites as a child. My granny made it with shrimp and crabmeat. It was often served as a side dish. I've heard of other versions with beef and seafood.


I didn't have any fresh parsley or shallots. I just used dried parsley. I also used some stale sourdough bread that I had around. I served it with creamed spinach (also pictured). The resultant dish got rave reviews from my husband and my sister!


Stuffing:

6 medium sized mirliton

3 Tbsp. butter

2/3 cup finely chopped onion

2 cups medium shrimp, peeled & deveined

1/4 cup shallots

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. salt

3 slices bread, soaked in water & squeezed


Topping:

3 Tbsp. melted butter

1/4 cup plain or Italian bread crumbs


Cut mirlitons in half lengthwise. Place in pot of boiling water. Cover and boil for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove seeds. Scoop out. Reserve pulp & shells. Saute onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add shrimp. Continue cooking for approximately 8 minutes. Add mirliton pulp, bread, shallots, parsley, salt & pepper. Mix well. Cook for 10 minutes stirring constantly. Pile into shells. Top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.


Serves 6 to 8.




1 comment:

Deborah said...

What a fun challenge - to cook through your mom's cookbooks! I'm excited to see what's to come.